Volunteering at Camden Arts Centre
Join our team!
Inspiring art and artistic practice since 1965, Camden Arts Centre is a place for seeing, making and talking about contemporary art. Our year-round programme includes an array of exhibitions, artist residencies, talks and events, school and artists’ projects, courses and off-site activities. We believe that art should be inclusive, and so, we encourage volunteers of all ages, backgrounds and levels of experience to get involved. Given that we are a registered charity and an Arts Council England (ACE) National Portfolio organisation, we rely on the generous support of volunteers and our team of 40+ Volunteer Front of House Assistants are central to the smooth running of our gallery spaces, events and programmes.
At Camden Arts Centre, Volunteer Front of House Assistants have several opportunities to engage in additional activities that support the centre. Volunteers can get the insider details on our exhibitions and lead Guided Tours; get hands-on and help with our family workshops every Sunday; make friends and be an integral part of our creative community; meet like-minded people and share a passion for the arts.
Even if you have no experience in the arts at all or are an avid arts-goer and artmaker, we welcome volunteers who are friendly, vigilant, pro-active and are interested in contemporary art.
Key Tasks (Compulsory):
• To attend all assigned shifts.
• To welcome visitors to the gallery and answering any questions they have about the Gallery or exhibitions.
• To help provide security for the art works and installations at all times and enforce the following Gallery rules: no touching of the artworks, no food or drink in the galleries and no running (we encourage families to hold hands).
• To assist the Team Leader to open/close the exhibitions at the start/end of each day and ensure that the spaces are ready for visitors and that high presentation standards are maintained all day.
• To represent Camden Arts Centre by wearing the appropriate uniform and keeping up to date with the current and forthcoming exhibitions, participatory activities, programmed events, courses and the Friends Scheme at Camden Arts Centre.
• To be friendly and approachable at all times and to maintain good relationships with staff and other volunteers.
• To record visitor numbers and satisfaction levels using the Daily Report sheet, feeding back any visitor views and security or health and safety issues to Camden Arts Centre staff.
Additional Tasks (Optional):
• To plan and conduct Guided Tours for visitors to the exhibitions.
• To assist artists and Education Assistants on Sunday afternoons during our drop family workshop ‘Family Takeover.
• To attend social events plus seminars, tours and workshops on a range of topics including, art education, fundraising and development, exhibition installation and digital communications.
Travel expenses will be reimbursed up to £5.50 per day. Volunteers can also gain up to 10% discount in our café, bookshop and on our acclaimed courses.
Camden Arts Centre is committed to meeting the needs of applicants with disabilities.
To apply for this role, please download the application form at the foot of this page, fill it in and return it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadline: Saturday 3 November
Group Interviews: Saturday 10 November/ Thursday 15 November
Training Session: Wednesday 21 November
With your help, we can continue to inspire and involve members of the public in the ideas and processes of today’s artists.