2 Day Course: Functional Ceramics – Coffee Sets
Saturdays, 29 February and 7 March, 10.30am – 4.30pm
Over this two-day intensive course, participants will design, make and decorate their own coffee set, consisting of a dripper and mug collection.
Day one will introduce a range of hand-building techniques, covering the basics of pinch pottery, coil building, and slab work, alongside other techniques using moulds. Participants will be given full access to Camden Arts Centre’s ceramics studio equipment and will have the opportunity to work with a range of different clays.
Day two will focus on decorative techniques, with demonstrations using slips, underglazes and glazes to give different finishes and effects. Works made during the first week of the course will be bisque fired in our on-site kilns in preparation for the second class.
Sophie Alda will lead this course. Sophie studied at Brighton University, graduating in 2009 and currently lives and works between London and Bristol. She is an artist, designer, maker, facilitator and founding member of east London workshop co-operative Clay Collective. Her work spans co-operation, community organising and exploration of sculptural form. Her vessels and sculptures are all individually hand-built, painted and glazed, combining simple playful design, rich colour and a narrative twist.
- This course is suitable for all levels and abilities.
- All materials and firing costs are included. Size restrictions apply.
- This course runs over two full days. There will be a break for lunch between 1pm and 2pm each day. Lunch is not provided.
- Participants will be able to select up to six final pieces to be clear-glazed and fired in our on-site kilns.
- Booking on a course at Camden Arts Centre signifies your agreement to our terms and conditions as stated in our Learning Agreement.
- Bookings are non-refundable and non-transferable, unless the course is cancelled by the Centre.
- Evidence of concessionary status must be shown on the first day of the course.
- Adults’ courses are 18+ unless otherwise stated.
- The building is fully wheelchair accessible. Please visit our access page on our website for more information on getting here, parking and facilities.
- Participants on this course may also be interested in booking on our Ceramics and Sound and our Introduction to Nerikomi Ceramics course [hyperlink] as a way to progress their ceramic practice.