10 Week Course: Ceramics for Beginners
Wednesdays, 18 September – 27 November 2019
6.30 – 9.00pm
Half term break: 23 October 2019
Perfect for those starting out in ceramics, participants will learn core techniques such as hand-building, coiling, slab work, modelling, press-moulding and simple decorative techniques using slips, underglazes and oxides. Over the course of ten-weeks, participants will be encouraged to develop their learning through their own personal projects.
A series of demonstrations will cover:
- An introduction to throwing
- Hand-building using the extruder
- Using slips to create decorative textures
Alice Foxen will lead this course. Alice is a visual artist combining ceramics with textiles and found objects to create playful installations of objects referencing daily encounters, temporary spaces and the things which rest within them. Since graduating from Brighton University in 2013 she has exhibited in the UK at the British Ceramics Biennial in Stoke-on-Trent and internationally at The International Ceramic Research Centre in Denmark. She works in education and has recently returned from an artist residency at The Vermont Studio Centre, USA. Read more
- This course is suitable for those with little to no experience of ceramics.
- All materials and firing costs are included. Size restrictions apply.
- Booking on a course at Camden Arts Centre signifies your agreement to our terms and conditions as stated in our Learning Agreement.
- Bookings are non-refundable and non-transferable, unless the course is cancelled by the Centre.
- Evidence of concessionary status must be shown on the first day of the course.
- Adults’ courses are 18+ unless otherwise stated.
- The building is fully wheelchair accessible. Please visit our access page on our website for more information on getting here, parking and facilities.
Photo credit: Hydar Dewachi