10 Week Course: Ceramics for Beginners
Sundays, 19 January – 29 March 2020
2.00 – 4.30pm
Half term break: 23 February 2020
Perfect for those starting out in ceramics, participants will learn core techniques such as hand-building, coiling, slab work, modelling, press-moulding and simple decorative techniques using slips, underglazes, oxides and glazes. Over the course of ten-weeks, participants will be encouraged to develop their learning through their own personal projects.
A series of demonstrations will cover:
- Slab-building using press moulds and templates
- Relief work and sgraffito decoration
- An introduction to throwing
Claire Bevacqua will lead this course. Claire graduated from Camberwell College of Art in 2000 and has since set up her own studio for producing and teaching ceramics. She is particularly interested in hand built sculptural ceramics and lighting, focusing on tiny details, pattern and texture she creates pieces that encourage playful escapism.
- This course is suitable for those with little to no experience of ceramics.
- All materials and firing costs are included. Size restrictions apply.
- Booking on a course at Camden Arts Centre signifies your agreement to our terms and conditions as stated in our Learning Agreement.
- Bookings are non-refundable and non-transferable, unless the course is cancelled by the Centre.
- Evidence of concessionary status must be shown on the first day of the course.
- Adults’ courses are 18+ unless otherwise stated.
- The building is fully wheelchair accessible. Please visit our access page on our website for more information on getting here, parking and facilities.
- Participants on this course may also be interested in booking on one of our short courses as a way to develop their practice: Introduction to Ceramics, Ceramics and Sound and Functional Ceramics – Coffee Sets.
Image credit: Hydar Dewachi